Prior to installing or upgrading BrightWork 365 please contact BrightWork Support to schedule a technical consultation to ensure all prerequisites are in place for a successful installation.
Requirements for the Installation User
- The BrightWork 365 installation user must have a Power Apps Premium/Power Apps per user license. Do not proceed with the installation if the installation user does not have this license.
- Whenever the installation account's password is changed, the BrightWork 365 related connectors will need to be refreshed.
- Post installation, after the BrightWork security roles have been created, the installation user account must also be given the Basic User security role and all other "BrightWork" named security roles except for BrightWork Request Submitter.
We recommend that a service account be used to install BrightWork 365 and the install be performed by a member of the organization's Microsoft 365 admin team in consultation with a BrightWork Customer Success person. Upgrades must be done by the same account used for the original installation.
The Microsoft 365 account used to install BrightWork 365 must have the attributes listed below - licenses must not be removed from this user to ensure flows continue to function:
- Power Apps Premium/Power Apps per user license. See "How to Check Your Microsoft 365 License Status" below for additional information. Note: The Power Apps and Power Automate for Office 365 licenses that are included with Microsoft 365 Business Standard are not sufficient as they do not provide the premium connectors necessary for BrightWork 365.
- Power BI Pro or higher license (optional): Thiis license is used to setup the Power BI dashboard to a common workspace.
- Power Platform Admin role in Microsoft 365.
- Assigned the System Administrator role in the destination environment.
- Assigned the Power BI Administrator role.
- Assigned an Exchange mailbox (e.g., a minimum of a Microsoft 365 E1 or equivalent license).
- If you intend to use email activities in projects, the install guide section Setup Dynamics Email will need to be completed by a user assigned the Global Administrator or Exchange Administrator role in Microsoft 365, and the System Administrator role in the Power Platform environment.
About the Need for the Power Platform Admin Role
BrightWork recommends that the BrightWork 365 application be installed by a user account with the Power Platform Admin role. This user account must permanently have a Power Apps Premium/Power Apps per user license. This is necessary because BrightWork 365 requires a licensed user to set up connection references using their organizational Microsoft 365 account. These connection references enable different parts of the Microsoft 365 ecosystem to 'talk' to each other (e.g. SharePoint, Outlook etc.). Removing the license means that BrightWork 365 will stop working as expected.
We further recommend that this user account be a service account, to ensure continuity of service should individuals leave the organization.
We typically expect that a member of the organization's Microsoft 365 administration team will perform the installation.
Providing this user with the Power Platform Admin role gives them access to all the Power Platform environments in the organization and to manage these environments. This is why we expect that the installation user will be a member of the Microsoft 365 Admin Team.
Although it may be possible to install BrightWork 365 with a lower 'per-environment' set of privileges, this is not a situation that BrightWork has tested.
End User BrightWork 365 License Requirements
Paid BrightWork licenses are required and will automatically be assigned to all users that have the BrightWork Team Member security role assigned. A free BrightWork 365 license will automatically be provided to users that only have the Basic User and BrightWork Request Submitter security roles that only permit them to enter project requests into the system (with no additional interaction with the BrightWork 365 app). For additional BrightWork 365 license requirement details see our Pricing and Licensing website pages.
BrightWork 365 License Audit
The annual BrightWork 365 license audit is a count of all unique named users throughout the organization that have been given the BrightWork Team Member security role (which gives them access to the full BrightWork 365 app). For the smooth running of the account, customers need to ensure they are in compliance with the BrightWork 365 Software License and Service Agreement. BrightWork will contact you when it is time for your annual license audit.
To complete the license audit:
- Navigate to Admin Area > Users > BrightWork Team Members.
- Count the number of unique users in the view.
- Use this link to submit your audit.
End User Microsoft License Requirements
In addition to any required BrightWork 365 licenses, users will also need one of the following licenses from Microsoft in order to use the BrightWork 365 solution: Power Apps Premium/Power Apps per user, Power Apps per app, or Dynamics.
How to Check Your Microsoft 365 License Status
To check your Microsoft 365 licensing status.
- Log in to https://www.office.com.
- Click View account on your profile menu.
- Click Subscriptions on the nav.
- For installation users: If the Power Apps Premium/Power Apps per user plan is not listed, do not proceed with the installation. Contact your organization's Microsoft 365 admin to add a Power Apps Premium/Power Apps per user license to your Microsoft 365 account.
Check a Specific User's Microsoft 365 Licensing Status
Go to the Users page for the Environment, select the user, and click Run Diagnostics.
Check Microsoft 365 Power Apps per app License Usage for an Environment
Go to https://admin.powerplatform.microsoft.com/resources/capacity#add-ons. Note the quantity of Power Apps per app licenses listed in the App passes column. Power Apps per app licenses get consumed and assigned once a user accesses an environment. These assignments last for a year. Any user that has accessed both the full BrightWork 365 app and the BrightWork 365 Request app will have consumed two licenses. For additional details see About Power Apps per App Plans.
Desktop System Requirements
For optimal usability we strongly recommend the following:
- Outlook for Microsoft 365 (not the standard desktop version of Outlook)
- Newest version of Internet browser (Microsoft Edge preferred)
For more information see https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-apps/limits-and-config.
Login Issues While Using Browser Tracking Protection
If you are having issues logging into BrightWork 365 while using some form of browser tracking protection, i.e., Firefox Enhanced Tracking Protection, this can typically be remedied by disabling this setting for the BrightWork 365 site. See Enhanced Tracking Protection in Firefox for desktop | Firefox Help (mozilla.org) for steps to disable it for Firefox.
- Also see Pre-Install Power Platform Environment Instructions.
- After reviewing the license and role related details in this article, see the embedded installation instructions below, or for mobile viewing download the BrightWork 365 Install Guide.pdf.
BrightWork 365 Install Guide
Importing Custom Solutions Supplied by BrightWork
If you're organization worked with the BrightWork team to create a custom solution, then you will also need to read these additional import instructions.
Organization System Settings
Organization system settings, including Regional Options such as currency, number, time and date formats (not time zone), can be configured through Power Platform System Settings.
We recommend users check the settings of their personal options upon first use and update them as necessary. To configure personal options, click the settings wheel in the top right area of the app and choose Personalization Settings.
The personal time zone setting should be changed to avoid timing related issues including incorrect Created and Modified dates. To change the personal time zone setting:
- Click into Personalization Settings as noted above.
- Change the time zone and click OK.
Post Installation Steps
Confirm that users have been added to the Power Platform environment that contains the BrightWork 365 solution and have also been assigned relevant BrightWork 365 security roles; if this is not done, users will not be able to access BrightWork 365. See the BrightWork User Management and BrightWork Security Roles Details articles for more information.