Create a New Task
- Click into the Gantt tab within a project.
- You can add a new task in a couple of ways:
- In the Gantt menu click + Add. Or,
- Right-click near an existing task and click + Add.
- Fill in the task details as explained in the Gantt Tabs section below.
Edit a Task
To edit an existing task either single-click next to the task name and then click Edit in the menu bar, or double-click in the row of the task in the Gantt section of the window. If the Gantt is not displaying updates you made to underlying data, click the Refresh button in the Gantt ribbon.
- Task Name: The given name of the task.
- Duration: The number of days between the Current Start and Current Finish dates. When dates are updated in the Task record, the Duration will be automatically calculated upon saving the task. When Duration is updated in the Task record, the Finish Date will be automatically calculated upon saving the task.
- Current Start and Current Finish: The Start and Finish dates entered at the time of task edit, or that were automatically set through a dependency.
Note: Task dates can be changed by dragging the left, center, or right part of the date bar and dragging.
- Target Start and Target Finish: The target dates entered manually, or automatically entered when the project was last baselined. See section Baseline the Schedule below.
- Percent Complete: Add an estimated Percent Complete - this will be part of the algorithm used to automatically calculate the task's parent (summary) task's overall percent complete.
- ID: System generated value, not editable.
User entered dates will be saved as time zone independent UTC dates, not user local dates; the same dates will be displayed for all users irrespective of time zone.
Add a task dependency (aka Predecessor) from the dropdown Name list, and set the dependency Type and any necessary Offset days.
- Finish-Start: The predecessor task must be completed before the successor task can start.
- Start-Start: The successor task cannot begin until the predecessor task begins.
- Finish-Finish: The successor task cannot be completed until the predecessor task is completed.
- Start-Finish: The successor task cannot be completed until the predecessor task begins.
Choose one or more resources and set their Unit value for the assignment. If the Unit value is set to greater than 100, upon Save the value will revert to 100.
The Resources list of users is limited to users given the BrightWork Team Member security role.
- At the current time the Unit value does not have any effect on resource management related reports.
- If the user assigning the resource does not have sufficient privileges, the assignment will not be saved.
- Task Type: Choose the relevant Task Type from the drop-down:
- Task: The lowest level piece of work that needs to be completed.
- Stage: Configures the task as a Stage which will automatically get added to the Stages section of the project. Use the Stage designation when creating a parent task for indented child tasks.
- Deliverable: If a task is set to the Deliverable type, documents can be attached to the task by clicking into its parent stage in the Stages tab, clicking on the task name in the Deliverables section on the displayed Project Stage form, and then choosing to create a new document or upload an existing document.
Note: We do not support adding a new task with the + New Project Task option found on the Project Stage form.
- ID: System generated value, not editable.
Indent a Task (Child Task) or Outdent a Task (Parent Task)
To indent or outdent a task, choose the tool at the top of the Gantt, or right-click on the task. Indenting a task will automatically make the task above it a parent task.
To move a task simply click to grab the handle on the left side of the task and move the task up or down.
Change the Date Focus in the Gantt Chart
Prev Time and Next Time will display the previous or next day, week, month, or year, depending on the Zoom level chosen for the Gantt.
Baseline the Schedule
To baseline the task schedule, click into Project Settings and choose Reset Target Dates in all Project Tasks.
You can verify the successful completion of the baseline reset by checking that the task date bar and the colored baseline bar below it are in alignment with one another.
Gantt Row Display
- When your browser display zoom is set to a value below 100% you may notice the task names not aligning with their corresponding Gantt bars when scrolling vertically. Setting the browser display zoom to 100% fixes this issue.
- If you change a Deliverable type task into a task of a different type (Stage or Task), in order to view any documents that were attached to the original deliverable you will need to check the Related | Documents tab in the associated stage in the Stages tab.
- If you change a Stage type task into a Deliverable type task, this new Deliverable will not automatically attach itself to its parent Stage. You will not be able to view this deliverable within its parent stage until you make an update to the Deliverable beyond changing the task type, such as updating its name or one of the date field values.
Gantt Baseline Resets and Milestone Dates
After a Gantt baseline reset, the Target Date values of milestone tasks may not equal Current Date values. We are working on a resolution.